– olive oil
– 1 onion, chopped
– 1 big potato, peeled and chopped
– 2-3 lbs broccoli chopped into big pieces (or 3 12oz bags of broccoli florets!)
– 32 oz chicken broth, low sodium preferred
– salt and pepper
– parmesan cheese (optional for topping)
1. Heat some olive oil in a pan. When it’s hot, add onion and salt and pepper. Cook until soft and translucent, about 8 minutes.
2. Add potato, broccoli and chicken broth. Then fill with enough water so it comes to 2 inches below level of broccoli (should be about 2 cups). Cover pan and simmer (cook on low) for about 15 minutes. You want the broccoli to still be green (otherwise it’s bitter) but you want it to be soft to the bite.
3. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until it’s smooth. You can use a tradition blender (fill it halfway with soup, remove the center from the blender cap, cover with towel and blend in batches. Taste and add some salt and pepper (s&p) if needed. Top with parmesan cheese if you like.